Friday, September 08, 2006

oh where, oh where, has my little dog gone?


Today while I was sitting on my front porch swing where I do most of my ponderings, I started thinking about expressions and figures of speech, and where did they come from. Some of them aren't that hard to know what they mean. For example, "eat like a horse" or "sleep like a baby". But one that I couldn't figure out was "work like a dog". Because all I've seen dogs do is sleep, eat, and play. So when someone says "work like a dog", shouldn't that mean that they haven't been working hard?

9 comments:

Cimmanim said...

hahaha, i've never thought about it...but now that you mention it...you are so right!

DonKhan said...

the phrase probably began in Australia, where there are large herds of sheep, and lots of sheep dogs. sheep dogs work very hard, it is said. maybe?

:)

gabbie said...

hm...

you're right. and Evan's right. so, i've come to this conclusion:

American dogs are lazy! They have succeeded in adopting the leisurely lifestyle of cats. Tsk, tsk, tsk.
:)

joe4444 said...

I work like a hippo, is that good? :D

gabbie said...

hippos fight? i thought they were too fat to fight. a hippo fight must be something like...i don't know...an animal sumo match or something.
:)

joe4444 said...

an animal sumo match or something.

that would be awesome!!! I can't wait until my first match with another hippo. I'm "workin like a dog" getting ready for it too. ;)

Dodger of Sheep said...

Actually, hippos are very dangerous animals. They kill more people than lions I believe. Don't let the folds of fat fool you.

joe4444 said...

*rawr*

beware teh angry hippo!!!

Gracie said...

oh wow..it's hilarious how subjects can change so fast..but that's okay. I'm lovin' it.