Friday, August 31, 2007

...don't forget your apple...

As most of you probably know, Rachel and I have decided to go to Falkner Mississippi High School this year. The reason was because since Dad rented an office in Walnut for his business, Mom has to be over there every day for several hours since she does AutoCAD for him.and she wouldn't have enough time to work up our assignments, keep up with the grades, or help us with schoolwork.

So we started school on Tuesday, August 14th. It was really overwhelming and confusing at first. I wasn't sure where any of my classes were, or what I was or wasn't supposed to do. But we went to the office and eventually worked everything out. Oh, and you know how on movies you see everyone with their cell phones at public school? At Falkner, there is no toleration of cell phones. I understand why though, of course, but I just thought I'd tell you.
Everyone was really curious who we were. They always sit outside in front of the school before the bell rings, and when we walked up, we could hear everyone whispering "who are they?", and "are they new?", it was pretty funny. That first day, I bet we had 20 or more people ask us if we were twins. That's kind of weird because she looks more like Mom and I look more like Dad. Also, we accidentally sort of matched...oops.

1st Period
I have French I with Ms. Roberson. I really like Miss Rob. She's pretty cool. (I also have English IV and Art with her. But that comes later.) So I find out where French is, and sit down in a desk in the very back, which seems the safest place to sit. In a few seconds, I look up to see this huge, very mean looking girl glowering at me. I move. I look around for another desk. Ah, there's one! "Oops, sorry. Is that yours?” Finally, I just ask a very intelligent-looking girl if there are any desks that aren't taken. She points me out to one, and I give a sigh of relief as I slide in. Ms. Roberson does the roll call and then looks at me curiously. I know what that looks like by now. "Now who are you?" she asks. I open my mouth but my mind goes blank and I can't remember my name. I start to panic, but then I look down at my notebook and see where I've written it. "Oh yeah", I laugh nervously. "Sorry, I'm Lydia Poe."
"I see", she says. "Class, let's give a warm welcome to our new student, Lydia." The class says "Bonjour, Lydia" in scattered unison, slowly with a slight twang.

2nd Period
After French, I found my Desktop Publishing class with Ms. Clemmer. (I also have Health with her. Actually, Ms. Rob and Ms. Clementine are the only two teachers I have, which is pretty nice, since I just switch back and forth from their rooms) This year they have an all girls class. I found out the first day that all we do is sit around and gossip unless we're working on the newsletter, which lasts about a week every month. It's pretty much awesome. So gossip about people I don't know is what happened in there on the first day.

Break
After DTP is the High school break, unless you have detention. If you have detention, you have to miss break. At break, everyone goes to the gym where they sell Gatorade, diet mountain dew, mountain dew, and water..and miscellaneous food munchables. This being my first day, I knew nobody, so I pretty much just stood around with Rachel while trying to find someone to talk to. It was slightly awkward.

3rd Period
English IV, my favorite class ever! ...slight exaggeration. :) Okay, I guess it's really not that bad. It's just..I mean, in this class you actually have to use your brain! Can you imagine that? Ouch. Me either. We started reading in the Anglo-Saxon unit, on The Conversion of King Edwin. And that's pretty much all we did that day.

4th period
This is Health. I'm supposed to have already taken this class, but somehow didn't. So I'm in this class with a bunch of annoying 9th graders. Not that being in 9th grade makes you annoying, don't get me wrong, but these just are.. Most of the time we just take notes. So far we've done notes dealing with Stress and Depression. And we watched a very interesting movie called The Many Faces of Eve, which is about a woman who had one of the first cases of multiple personality. I really liked it. I think maybe I have another personality...

LUNCH
Nothing much to say here except that they have pretty decent food, actually. Oh, and if you eat slow, you won't get to finish your lunch.

5th period
Art! At first when the guidance counselor said I would have to take this class, I didn't think I would enjoy it; but I think it's probably my favorite class. It's at the end of the day, most everyone's a senior, really cool people, and it's really relaxing and laid back. So far, I've drawn a shaded sphere, a picture of a pear, apple and orange, a teapot, a coffee pot, glass jars, and a doll. It's fun stuff, drawing. I have a hard time with shading, but I'm practicing. I think eventually we'll get into painting.

So I get out at 1:15ish..and head to work where I stay until 5:30. I have a pretty full day. It makes you really look for those weekends..mm..I feel a song coming on.. :)

Thank God, It's Friday by Three's a Crowd

Thank God, It's Friday
I've had enough of payin' the rent
This week has crept by so slowly
But now it's the weekend
This is my timeto do anything I want to
But baby, right now
all I want to do is spend my time with you

And maybe forget about
the world and all it's troubles
for a moment or two
There's only me and you

Everyone is talking all the time
And saying nothing
"How was your day"
Who cares
Turn on the television

Our lives move so fast,
Sometimes we are caught in the rush
Make time
Let's talk
And spend a weekend with just us

And maybe forget about
the world and all it's troubles
for a moment or two
There's only me and you

Thank God, it's Friday
I've had enough of payin' the rent
This week has crept by so slowly
But now it's the weekend

5 comments:

Cal-el of Krypton said...

Welcome to high school.... the beautiful letdown.

What time do yall start school each day? I've never heard of a school letting out at 1:15.

So you're a REAL PERSON NOW?!?!?!!!! Congratulations!! Now you are starting to have REAL experiences!!!

Keep us updated!!

Elizabeth said...

No, it's not "reality" you have just joined the rest of us PB public school delinquents. Welcome to the club. Well, I guess I am not really in the club anymore, I'm an alumae.
I hope the Lord gives you the grace and strength to deal with all the drama and other not so good stuff about high school. I didn't realize until yesterday what I had been delivered from through graduation.

Gracie said...

haha..yeah, real person.. :)

I get out of school at 1:15 because I'm a senior, and senior's are special. :) Actually, most of the seniors get out at 12, but I have an extra class.

I'll try to keep updating as much as possible..but I won't promise anything.. :)

Gracie said...

...and thanks Liz! I should have also mentioned in the post..if you remember to, PLEASE pray for me! I would very much appreciate it.

joe4444 said...

This brings back memories of the good ole days when the teachers were worse than the military about cellphones. Sounds like school isnt that bad though, and its good prep for the college world, which will be much worse.

It must be pretty cool going to a school where people actually look at you funny for being new. My HS was over 2,000 people, so somebody new was just a common thing. Hope your meeting lots of good people though (emphasis on "good").