Monday, November 06, 2006

"My Dearest Friends"

(This is #95 in the 12th edition of the Old School Hymnal)

We sang this at church yesterday, and it reminded me of what I feel whenever I leave an event where a lot of my friends are gathered, such as a meeting or Harmony Hill.


1. "My dearest friends in bonds of love, Our hearts in sweetest union prove,

Your friendship's like a drawing band, Yet we must take the parting hand.

Your presence sweet, your union dear, Your words delightful to my ear;

And when I see that we must part, You draw like cords around my heart.


2. How sweet the hours have passed away, When we have met to sing and pray;

How loath I've been to leave this place Where Jesus shows His smiling face.

O could I stay with friends so kind, How would it cheer my struggling mind!

But duty makes me understand That we must take the parting hand.


3. And since it is God's holy will, we must be parted for a-while,

In sweet submission all in one, We'll say, Our Father's will be done.

Dear fellow youth in Christian ties, Who seek for mansions in the skies,

Fight on; you'll win the happy shore Where parting hands are known no more.


4. How oft I've seen the flowing tears, And heard you tell your hopes and fears;

Your hearts with love have seemed to flame, Which makes me hope we'll meet again.

Ye mourning souls in sad surprise, Jesue remembers all your cries;

O taste His grace -- in all that land We'll no more take the parting hand."

5 comments:

Gabius Monroeness said...

i LOVE that song

Hannah said...

i love that lydia!

Rachel said...

I have never heard that song be sung before...I didn't even know about it. It really is a beautiful hymn though, and I need to get the tune to it so my church can learn it!

LaceyP said...

I really like that one...and it seems to always make me cry! Probably because I'm always leaving my friends when we sing it! boo.

toesthattwinkle said...

yes. I love that song too. I felt that way before also...