Sunday, February 19, 2006

'Twas an eventful night...

Last night, the water pipes froze. So we brushed our teeth using water bottles. Got in bed with the electric blanket on almost high, and put in the My Fair Lady soundtrack. The water unfroze a little while after we got in bed. Around 11:00, I heard this loud noise that sounded like the bath water on full blast. I thought Dad turned it on so the water wouldn't freeze up again, but wondered why it was on that much. I didn't think too long about it very much though, and tried to get some sleep.
About 30 min later, I decided that the noise was keeping me awake. So I got out of my bed, opened the door, and walked down to the bathroom. Right as I stepped out of my room, my socks were soaked. I shrieked, and saw that water was everywhere. I was standing in water about an inch deep. When I realized the situation, I ran to Rachel's room and told her what happened. Then I ran to get Dad, and we both rushed back to the bathroom in the mothers' cabin. The water heater valve was busted, and water was shooting everywhere. Apparently, there was a lot of pressure from the water being frozen. So I had to hold the valve down while Dad went to see if he could fix it. I felt like that Dutch boy who had to hold his finger in the wall to save the town...

Anyway, it stopped, so we cleaned up a little and went back to bed. A few minutes after I got into bed, it started again. This time I went straight to the valve and held it down. Dad came in when he heard it, and put a paint can on top of it to hold it down. We then went back to bed a third time, and this time I went to sleep, and the valve busted no more. We had to stay home from church today to clean it all up, a lot of the boxes got soaked and had to be moved, and the floor dried with the ShopVac. It was weird not going to church, and I wish we could have gone, but there was nothing else for us to do. Missed ya'll Grace Chapelanians!

Well, that's the end of this tale...toodles!

10 comments:

cpuaggie said...

Wow! What a night!

LaceyP said...

wow...obviously it was MUCH colder there than it was here...Glad yall got it fixed...

Life is better in the South said...

ew, that's annoying, and AWESOME!!!
I-I---I mean that's HORRABLE!

SouthavenPBC said...

[btw this is joe4444, I just rather frightened by all the unnecessary negative feedback I got from my last post on your blog, that I'm afraid to show my new, and temporary, profile pic]

Wow, sorry to hear it was such a rough night. We'd have loved to see yall at church today. Southaven and Collierville both cancelled services because of the weather, so my parents and I went to Grace Chapel. Hope yall get the pipes fixed up soon, wish I could be there to help.

DonKhan said...

necessary negative feedback. he's your VP, boy, show some respect.

Lydge, I'm thinking this sounds like way too much excitement to me :) I mean, who want's to be stopping valves in the middle of the night? ick :)

glad you got it fixed :)

joe4444 said...

"necessary negative feedback. he's your VP, boy, show some respect."

You show some respect to President Clinton, and Gore and Kerry, then.

beatrice said...

I didn't notice that Evan was being disrespectful to Clinton, Gore and Kerry.

Wow, Lydia, that's a pretty...eventful...night!

DonKhan said...

I am not particularly disrespectful of Clinton, or Gore, though as neither of them are in office any longer, they do not demand the respect that they used to. as for Kerry, I was never particularly respectful, but maybe that's cause he looks so wierd :)

joe4444 said...

Dont give me bull about not being in office. President Clinton was still our president and if Bush is supposed to be respected, then so is Clinton, even now.

And keeping with the topic, sounds like a crazy night Lydge (yea I know other's have said that but I wanted to say something besides just a response to Evan).

DrSmyth said...

Missed yall too.